Monday, August 11, 2008

I know I promised

that I'd keep a detailed journal while I was in San Francisco, but I didn't. What I can tell you is that I had a fabulous time, my editor appointment was wonderful and resulted in a request for a partial, I decided not to turn in the partial to the agent who met with our chapter, because after his talk it was apparent he wasn't looking for my type of work--and on the second day I was there I was awakened at 4 a.m. by a phone call. Momma had fallen and was taken by ambulance to the ER, where she was later transferred to another hospital and admitted to ICU. She remained in ICU for most of the conference, so I was torn between enjoyment of my time away and a pressing need to be home.

Of course, my family didn't want me cutting conference short to rush home, as Momma wasn't in a life or death situation, and when Mom was finally responsive again, she didn't either. Still, I couldn't help but be worried, and looked forward to my daily updates on her condition. She is much better now, but still in the hospital. A lot of her problem at the moment stem from infection she most likely picked up after the ruptured ulceration which led to her last stint in the hospital. But she is getting stronger every day and is looking better than she has in a long time.

This has been such a long year for her. For a woman who has never had to deal with being sick to go through so much in such a short period, well, I'll just say that she's a trooper.

Now, I should take advantage of the kids being gone and get to work. I've got a submission to get ready!! I'll be back soon with pictures!

No comments: